Saturday, August 31, 2013

What I Did At My Summer Intensive, featuring the OPI NYCB Collection

It's been a while since my last post; for some people August means going back to school or college, but for me it means summer intensive.  Every year I attend the August session of Sun King Dance Camps, a weeklong ballet camp structured for adult dancers from beginners to advanced; this year was my fourth.  We spend about six to eight hours a day dancing, learning everything from ballet to jazz to techniques for improving turnout, and there's a performance at the end where we dance on an actual stage in a theatre - for some of us, this is the first or only chance we get to perform.  It's a lot of fun, with a great group of supportive and friendly people, and I look forward to it every year.

Not long before intensive, I went a little crazy and purchased the entire spring 2012 OPI New York City Ballet SoftShades Collection because, well, ballet.  But instead of just modeling it on myself at home, I decided to take it with me, because how better to show it off than in an actual ballet studio on actual ballet dancers?

The collection, left to right: My Pointe Exactly, You Calling Me A Lyre?, Care To Danse?, Don't Touch My Tutu!, Barre My Soul (ugh, OPI, no), and Pirouette My Whistle.

Because it was hard to coordinate with my models, we decided to model two colors at a time, one on each hand.  My first model was Kristina Showalter-Grant, who in real life runs the Harrisburg Ballet Theater and is also disgracefully flexible, as you'll see at the end of this post.  ;-)  First up, Kristina shows off My Pointe Exactly and Don't Touch My Tutu!

Don't Touch My Tutu! (top) is a sheer white polish, while My Pointe Exactly (bottom) is a slate gray.  Shown is three coats, no top coat.  All of the NYCB polishes have the same translucent "sorbet" finish", which isn't quite as see-through as a regular sheer polish or as squishy as a jelly. None of these have shimmer (except for Pirouette My Whistle, obviously).

It's hard to see (the lighting was not the best in the studio hallway and all I had was my phone camera), but this is Don't Touch My Tutu! and My Pointe Exactly with a coat of Pirouette My Whistle, the "fantasy" topcoat for this collection.  Pirouette My Whistle has silver microglitter and larger pearl-white circles in a clear base; it's a nice way to add sparkle without going for in-your-face bling the way some glitter toppers do.

Up next are You Calling Me A Lyre? (OPI, we really need to talk about these goofy names) and Care To Danse?

Care to Danse? (left) is a milky grayish lavender that tends to pull more pink than blue.  You Calling Me A Lyre? is a delicate whitish-pink - this is what we tend to think of as a traditional "ballet pink", the color of tights and new ballet slippers.  Again, three coats with no topcoat, but notice how glossy they are anyway.

And here's Care To Danse? and You Calling Me A Lyre? with Pirouette My Whistle.  Under fluorescent lights this gives off a beautiful, dainty sparkle.

And finally, Barre My Soul and Pirouette My Whistle (by its own lovely self):

Barre My Soul is a milky peach; it's very, VERY similar to You Calling Me A Lyre?, but leans just a bit more yellow.  Honestly, I'm not really sure anyone needs both of these because they are so similar; if you have a cool-toned complexion, You Calling Me A Lyre? would probably be best, while those with warmer undertones to their skin would do better with Barre My Soul.  Pirouette My Whistle looks just as great on its own as it does as a topper when all you want is a little hint of glitz.

Here's Barre My Soul topped with Pirouette My Whistle:


My second model was Jasmine Flanagan; in her other life, Jasmine is a veterinarian!  That's one of the truly fascinating things about these camps, seeing everyone from doctors to engineers to priests (yes, you read that right) to homemakers to lawyers in the same place, all united by their passion for dance.  Unfortunately I didn't have a whole lot of time to work with Jasmine - between classes, basically - so she only modeled two colors for me.  Jasmine chose My Pointe Exactly and Barre My Soul:

We both thought My Pointe Exactly would be more flattering on Jasmine, but to our surprise Barre My Soul came out the winner because of its warmer base.  You can also see just how sheer these polishes are; even after three coats there's visible nail line.

And with Pirouette My Whistle:

The colors in the NYCB Collection are nice, delicate colors, very appropriate for the office (or the studio!) or any time you just want a clean, neutral look that isn't your typical barely-there pink or I-have-to-have-something-on-my-nails clear polish.  They're also difficult to find; I had to collect mine piecemeal, but they can still be found at sites like Amazon, eBay, and drugstore.com.

Thanks to my lovely models, who graciously took time out from a busy day of dancing to let me do their nails and pose them.

Kristina (she can also do that without the stretcher contraption):

















and Jasmine:

















And as a bonus, this is me on the last day of camp in my new purple leotard (gotta love the group dancewear store trip), tiara, and a borrowed tutu.  Note: taking selfies on pointe is hard.  Don't try this at home.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment